Collingwood withdrew a contract offer for Jordan De Goey on the weekend in light of his embarrassing Bali nightclub video incident.
The club had tabled an offer for De Goey of a new deal for two years with a trigger for a further two years on about $800,000 a year.
The withdrawal of the contract offer does not indicate that they have made a decision not to re-sign the player. The club could yet return to negotiations with a revised offer, or they could decide not to make him a new offer.
Sources confirmed the Magpies withdrew their latest offer of a potential four-year deal – if triggers were satisfied – out of concern at the exposure of contracting a long-term deal with a player with a history of off-field controversies.
The club and De Goey’s management had, until the Bali incident when he was filmed partying in a nightclub, been in meaningful negotiations and De Goey had said his preference was to remain at Collingwood.
Sources said Collingwood had been made aware of two clubs that had put five-year offers to De Goey. St Kilda have expressed interest in De Goey, but have not made an offer.
It is unknown if the approaches from those other clubs were formal, or if they had changed after the weekend’s incident.
Collingwood president Jeff Browne was to meet with coach Craig McRae, football manager Graham Wright, and football director Paul Licuria on Monday afternoon to discuss De Goey and the club’s position.
Collingwood has already expressed interest in Brisbane Lions forward Daniel McStay, who is out of contract at the end of the season and is a free agent. The Lions have offered him a five-year deal on about $500,000 a year to remain.
Collingwood’s interest in McStay has complications for any decision on De Goey’s future at the club.
If Collingwood decided not to re-sign De Goey, or if De Goey decided that he now wanted to leave as a free agent, then any compensation pick the club received for him leaving would be diluted by the arrival of a free agent such as McStay.
De Goey was given permission to travel to Bali last week for a short holiday during the team’s bye round. A video and photographs then emerged on social media of De Goey partying in a nightclub.
In the video a hand, purported to be De Goey’s, attempts to pull aside a female friend’s bikini top to expose her breast.
The woman in the video said she had no issue with De Goey’s behaviour on the night, posting on Instagram that she could not believe the backlash towards Jordy and myself.
Senior club figures were extremely disappointed in De Goey over the Bali video and the disrespect shown to women in the video, regardless of the fact the woman in the video said she was not troubled by the incident filmed. But the club has not yet made a decision on any action they might take against him.
The club was not concerned at the fact De Goey went to Bali as two other Collingwood players were also in Bali and all three went with the club’s blessing. It was the fact De Goey had embarrassed himself and the club with his behaviour around women that had upset the club.
for putting himself and his club in yet another compromised situation and his public response to it.
De Goey was found guilty of conduct unbecoming by the AFL in March over an incident at a New York nightclub in October last year, . The Magpies stood him down for three months when he was not allowed to train with the rest of the players, though he has returned to play 12 of the club’s 13 games this season.
He pleaded guilty in New York’s criminal court to harassment in the second degree, which is a violation, but did not record a conviction after the more serious charges of forcible touching were dropped. Assault charges were also dropped.
The court required De Goey to remain arrest-free for a year and complete 10 therapy sessions concentrating on anger management and alcohol treatment.
Keep up to date with the best AFL coverage in the country. .